Hi! I’m Alex Beale, and I’m the guy behind Footprint Hero.
I’m a self-taught DIY solar power enthusiast on a journey to learn how to solar power anything. Footprint Hero is where I’m sharing what I learn – as well as the (many) mistakes I’m making along the way.
Follow along with my DIY solar learning journey however you want, in whatever corner of the internet your prefer:
- Blog: Solar reviews, DIY solar calculators, and step-by-step tutorials of my DIY solar projects
- Newsletter: Get my best DIY solar projects, tutorials, and reviews delivered straight to your inbox
- YouTube: Short and long videos documenting my solar builds and experiments
- TikTok: Fun videos about all things DIY solar power
- Instagram: Photos and videos to inspire your next solar project
- Pinterest: DIY solar ideas and tips for eco-friendly living
The Story Behind Footprint Hero
Back in 2020, I got interested in building small DIY solar projects, such as solar lights and solar battery chargers. What I quickly realized, however, is there were virtually no good articles or blog posts on the topic.
I knew a little bit about building websites, so I decided to start Footprint Hero to share clear, hands-on DIY solar advice that I couldn’t find on any other blogs.
The blog grew slowly at first. But I knew from plenty of reader emails and comments that there was a need for these sorts of articles.
I eventually began testing and reviewing solar equipment. With the help of a developer friend, I also started coding online calculators to help DIY solar enthusiasts design their systems.
I’ve now taken the plunge and work on Footprint Hero full-time. As someone concerned about climate change, I feel incredibly fortunate to be able to do this kind of work. My hope is that it can make a positive impact, however small, by helping readers add a little more renewable energy to their lives.
Thanks for stopping by.